Friday, March 2, 2012

Paddle shift

Having made some progress on the house moving front, I have registered for the 2012 RGB series, contrary to what I had decided of course, but once the racing bug has bitten, there is no looking back!  I'm pretty sure the car won't be ready for the first meeting of the season at Silverstone, more likely to be brands hatch, at the end of April. I am however, booked at an open pitlane trackday, doing the Silverstone GP circuit on the 17th of March, where I will be getting to grips with the Chevron B8 and the Curtis 500 Indy car. There is a possibility that I will be racing one of these cars this season, so a little familiarisation is probably for the best!
I had initially wanted to take the Fury with me to the Silverstone trackday, but having not run it since last august, there is too much prep work to do to the car, an packing at home ready for the house move is the more important task right now.
Having said that, I certainly have been thinking about the race car, and started thinking about little bits I can do that will not take up any of my time at home, but will make a positive difference.  First on the agenda is to mould a new seat out of two part foam. I've ordered the foam, but with ambient temperatures in the garage too cold of late to get a decent foam mix, the seat remains on the "to do" list.
I've today turned my attention to the gear shift paddle, as the current one is rather too rudimentary in design and manufacure for my liking.  Below are pictures of the CAD drawing I made of the new replacement, and a few pictures during the machining process.  If anybody else with a Fury of this vintge wants one, I've still got the jig and programs!








And the finished article. I was getting bored of polishing it, so I shot-blasted, etch primed and painted it. I'll laquer it with some 2k next week when I get a spare minute at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment