Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Getting up to date

So, seeing as though my last post was back in April last year, I felt an update is well overdue.

I always knew that funds wouldn't allow me to do the full seasons racing, so I aimed at the more local tracks for lower travel and time costs, and also the fact I had a slight knowledge of places like Brands Hatch, Snetterton and Silverstone.  I think I managed to spin the car in almost every race I entered last season, and although I was a back marker with every race, I finished every race that I entered with no accidents, I managed to post consistent lap times, and the car held out for me mechanically.

At the end of the season, I think virtually everyone else with a similar car to me was planning a more modern engine upgrade over the winter, but I have opted to stick with the old Fireblade 919cc relic, having no spare cash to throw at the project.  I barely scratched the surface of how the car could potentially perform, and being the novice that I still am, I feel that it would be wise to gain more track time to gain experience rather than just think it is the car that is slow rather than myself.  It would be all too easy to upgrade the engine, only to have to start ironing out new problems which are inevitable with a new install, and also not being able to get to grips with the increase in power and the change to the cars dynamics.  I will be firmly sticking to the beleif that to finish first, first you have to finish.

To be honest though, racing the car has been at the back of my mind entirely since I packed it away back in August.  With Gina no longer working, I cannot warrant anything being spent on racing at all.  To add to the dilemma,  we put our house on the market just before Christmas, as we need a bigger property, partly to house all of my automotive projects, but also with a view to accommodating an expanding family in years to come.  I had more or less come to the conclusion that my priority should shift from time and money spent on the race car, to getting my bay window VW camper van (or Kombi as people on the continent like to call them) sorted out and on the road. In a finished and roadworthy state, the van would be an asset with a decent value if the need arose to sell it, would give us a decent and cheap holiday or two, and would of course provide a higher level of comfort at race weekends too.

The van is in a pretty sorry state, and there has been plenty of grinding and welding to get rid of ther rot, and there is a lot of rust.  There is a separate page dedicated to the van, and I shall update it with the work I have been doing to it, and the pictures I have taken so far.

I must admit though, I have been looking at some very cheap winter track days.......

No comments:

Post a Comment